Sunday, March 8, 2015

Pompeii No.46: The Next Chapter

In my last posting I revealed a view of the Pompeii Room as it looked almost completed, below.

click to enlarge
But this is not what one saw when one entered my house, because the door is to the right of this perspective. In fact, the view was more like the illustration below.

It therefore occurred to me — as I was repainting the red wainscoting — that the Pompeii Room would need to extend into the living room, in order to make a fuller statement . . .

. . . and look like this. And so this posting is all about continuing the background template into the living room.

For a long time, the living room wall facing the front door featured a dramatic Victorian image of a red-haired lady (a close-up heads this posting). It was a lithograph printed on cloth, rather remarkable technology for the 1800s.

Early in the picture's residency, the 5-year-old daughter of friends entered the house and commented that the lady looked sad. "Yes," I said. "you're right. She's sad because she doesn't have a name." Without hesitating for a moment, the little girl said, "Her name is Zenita!" And thereafter she remained Zenita.

When I painted the new wainscoting, and the chair rail and moulding, I extended the project to Zenita's wall.

Then I duplicated the Pompeian background to match the original room. I also painted the interior of the bookcases a dusty mauve, a color that picks up some details from the mural and gives the living room a little extra tie-in. (The bookcase interior is brighter in this image because it's being flooded with light for the photograph; its actual impact is more subtle.)

The columns don't extend all the way down to the wainscoting because they're going to be partially obscured by future design elements.

In my next posting, I'll share the inspiration for the living room, an homage to a Late Renaissance master. I hope you'll join me then!
.

21 comments:

  1. This makes complete sense Mark and I do love Zenita! I look forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve next! Re: your comment on my post, I saw my first Botero sculptures at The Grand Wailea in Maui. They have a fabulous art collection.
    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Karena.

      I have extended family in Hawaii, so perhaps The Grand Wailea could be in my future. As one who has made a living plying art of one kind or another, I've always envied artists whose own work is as individualistic and recognizeable as Botero's.

      Delete
  2. Hello Mark, It was a great idea to extend the Pompeii idea partly out into the living room in that way, thus avoiding an Alice in Wonderland 'down the rabbit hole' experience when you step into the decorated dining room. I also liked getting these glimpses of your living room and its displayed treasures, which we might get to see closer one day. And speaking of small treasures, I like the slag glass button of the month in its brass frame.

    --Jim
    p.s. I'll bet your small friend had just seen The Music Man, in which the mayor's giggling daughter is named Zaneeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jim,

      I look at that button and imagine it as faux marble. I derive much pleasure from sharing these little gems which were so beautifully designed and manufactured. It's no wonder that so many of them have recently been incorporated into trendy bracelets and neckalaces.

      I always wondered where my little friend got that name . . . I'll bet you're right.

      Delete
  3. Dear Mark - you have done much more work in the living room than I had imagine. The dusty mauve in the bookcase is a good touch to tie it into the mural.
    Wonder which Late Renaissance Master you will be playing homage to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rosemary,

      Shall I give you a hint? This artist is associated with the enjoyment of beans.

      Delete
    2. Did he like Butchers Shops too?

      Delete
  4. Hello Mark,

    It is such a good idea to continue into the living room in order to create a more harmonious whole. You have accomplished a lot in a short time and the coloured background to the bookcase is a most ingenious and elegant touch. Zenita is going to hang in style when she returns to her place by the looks of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jane and Lance,

      I bought Zenita from a friend about 25 years ago, and had the cloth lithograph matted in a complementary cloth, and then framed. It's interesting to think that Zenita would fit into a Pompeian theme, but she is no longer with me. I gifted her back to the original owner.

      Delete
  5. I wondered how it would tie into the rest of your house - great move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stefan,

      Now friends are startiing to wonder whether the whole house will become Pompeian (but it won't)!

      Delete
  6. Painting the interior of the bookcase is another Ruffnerian stroke of genius. I love this, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Barbara,

      I spent a lot of time considering that color; it could have been one of many found in the mural. Red might have been a natural choice, but I wanted something restful, too.

      Delete
    2. I second silverinthebarn's comment. In addition, the additional mural does exactly what you intended - tie the whole scheme together very well.

      Delete
    3. Hello, Columnist,

      I think you'll enjoy the living room's evolution to the later Renaissance.

      Delete
  7. Dear Mark, Extending your Pompeian room into your living area is a natural. I give you credit for not shying away from the extra work. Anyone else would have said enough is enough.
    I have always like the idea of painting the back of cabinets and bookcases a darker color....it sets off objects d' art so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gina,

      I have to admit that I'm looking forward to Pompeii's completion. I'm going to be taking up other projects, but eventually I'll pick up the brushes again and paint all the interior doors of the house in a complementary style.

      Before my recent bookcase overhaul (which was a good excuse to cull a few books) my living room walls were a cheerful yellow, and the bookcase interiors were a deep gold — something nicer than a mustard yellow. I was ready for something with a little more verve.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant. Zenita is pleased. Love that you painted the interior backs of the cabinets. I have a gray painted cabinet in my kitchen - very country looking, not elegant. But I love it. I've been toying with the idea of painting the interior backs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yvette,

      Zenita might be pleased, but she isn't returning to the wall. I've gifted her back to her original owner.

      As I said in the posting, the mauve interior backs of my bookcases are more subtle than the photos show. I chose a color that subliminally complements the mural, though such interiors can be very dramatic. My parents had cream-colored bookcases with deep red interiors, and it looked great with their books.

      Delete
  9. Oh, cream and red. Most wonderful. Almost any room I can think of can always use a touch of red. :) Perhaps Zenita doesn't stand up to change. It might make her even more wistful.

    ReplyDelete